The Melton Foundation is currently recruiting a Communications Assistant.
We are at an important turning point in our development, and seek a candidate who will join us in getting the word about our work out to wider global audience.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Communications Assistant will collaborate with staff and Fellows in order to promote the work and mission of the Melton Foundation (MF) and ensuring the integrity of the MF brand. The successful candidate will possess a proven ability to engage existing and new audiences, as well as exceptional communications skills in social media and web copy, experience with photo and video production and editing, and an enthusiasm for the MF’s unique mission. Native-level English language skills are required.
This is a part-time position.
Key component of this position include:
- Communicating and promoting the work of Melton Fellows and the various ways in which the MF advances its mission
- Engaging new global audiences while deepening online engagement with our current audiences
- Managing social media content, messaging, and strategy
- Creating and curating content for our website, newsletter, and other communications avenues
- Creating and implementing a communications strategy for global events produced by the MF, such as the Global Citizenship Conference and the New Fellow Orientation.
- Support content creation by Melton Fellows (blogs, social media posts, etc.)
- Writing and editing blogs and stories
- Coordinating photo and video productions as needed
- Overseeing print publications as required
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven experience in managing and implementing a non-profit’s communications and marketing plan
- Creative, entrepreneurial spirit; a natural self-starter
- Strategic use of social media, esp. Facebook and Twitter
- Evidence of strong writing and oral communication skills; native-level English
- Excellent copy editing skills
- Knowledge of CMS maintenance
- Solid experience with event coordination, particularly in relation to communications and marketing
- Familiarity with mentoring or teaching
- Ability to think strategically
- Work and/or study related to NGOs, communications or global issues
- Prior success working across cultures and in collaborative, distributed teams
- Strong interpersonal and cross cultural aptitudes
- International experience; well versed in global affairs
- Availability to travel abroad
- Familiarity with photo and video editing software desirable
- Basic ability or better in any of the following languages is a strong asset: Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Mapudungun, Spanish, Twi, or any of the main traditional languages of Ghana or India.
As a member of the MF’s Executive Office, the Communications Assistant should be comfortable in a cooperative, collegial environment. We welcome candidates with broad international exposure, a sense of humor, a willingness to learn, the ability to give and receive positive and critical feedback, and a sense of adventure.
Candidates must be genuinely committed to our mission and should embody global citizenship through prior work, study, and life experiences across geographies and cultures.
They should be able to work independently, be self-organized and possess a high degree of personal accountability for their responsibilities and tasks. Finally, the successful candidate may be expected to travel abroad several times a year for a period of up to two weeks.
We are a networked organization with staff and partner institutions worldwide. The successful candidate for this position will not be geographically limited.
The candidate is expected to provide her/his own workspace (home, shared office, etc.). The Melton Foundation will cover direct costs of connectivity, travel, and software required by the job.
- This is a part time position (approx. 15 hrs / week)
- Compensation and benefits negotiable
- Starting date: April 2018, possibly earlier
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and two letters of recommendation to jobs(at)meltonfoundation.org by February 28, 2018.
We will conduct interviews with suitable candidates on a rolling basis.